St. Michael's Ward
St. Michael's Ward is a 22-bedded medical/surgical ward for infants and children which includes the Cystic Fibrosis wing which consists of 4 en-suite isolation rooms and a lounge/kitchen.
- We ask that every time you enter and leave the ward and cubicle you wash your hands using soap and water or alcohol gel pumps provided. We also ask that you wash your hands in your cubicle before handling your infant/child and after nappy care
- Please do not hesitate to ask any member of hospital staff if they have washed their hands or used hand gel prior to handling your infant/child.
- Sometimes it is necessary for an infant/child to be nursed in isolation. St. Michaels ward has 9 rooms to facilitate this requirement if needed. If there is an isolation sign on your infant/child's cubicle please discuss with your nurse how this effects you and your infant
- Information leaflets are available for certain isolation conditions, please ask your nurse regarding same
- Your cubicle/bed space is cleaned daily by household staff. To ensure they can clean the cubicle properly, please ensure your room is tidy, all items are stored in the locker provided and clutter free nothing can be stored on the floor. We do not have a facility to store items such as suitcases/buggies therefore, they must be taken home
- A small number of buggies are available on the ward if parents wish to bring their infant for a walk, providing they are not nursed in isolation
- It is necessary that your child can be seen at all times; please do not cover the windows
- Hot drinks are not allowed in the cubicles. Parent’s kitchen provided to facilitate same
- Cot sides must be pulled up to ensure the safety of your infant. If leaving your child unattended, please inform your nurse
- Please ensure your infant/child's name band is not removed, a staff member will replace it if is removed or falls off